Western Front Trail
Saturday, September 17, 2022
Western Front Trail 85 km
The Western Front Trail 85km starts from the IJser Tower, symbol of peace and war. The ultimate challenge passes the most remarkable sites of the First World War via the Polder plains, IJser Valley, Ypres Salient and Messines. .
Group start at 5:00 am
Individual start between 5.00 & 05.30 am
Western Front Trail 60km
Starting in the vicinity of the imposing Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing, you pass through Ypres Salient, Messines, the Ypres woods and Bellewaerde Ridge, past the most remarkable sites of the First World War.
Group start at 8:00 am
Individual start between 8.00 & 9.00 am
Western Front Trail 35km
The imposing Menin Gate, symbol of peace and war, is the starting point of the Western Front Trail 38km. Via the Ypres green belt, Hill60, Hill62 and Bellewaerde Ridge you reach Passchendaele Museum Zonnebeke.
No Group start
Individual start between 10.00 am & 14.00 pm
Western Front Trail 10km
Taste the atmosphere of the Western Front Trail with a local walk in and around Zonnebeke via Tyne Cot Cemetery and Passchendaele Museum.
- Starter package
- Arranged route with km indication
- Ample supply & rest points along the way
- Sanitary facilities along the way
- First aid posts
- Insurance Wandelsport Vlaanderen sports accidents
- 1 free 'Sint-Bernardus beertasting' on arrival (upon presentation of ID)
- A remembrance of the Western Front Trail
- A guaranteed smile on your face
- Members of a recognized hiking federation *
- Participation costs 85 km : € 39
- Participation costs 60 km : € 29
- Participation costs 38 km : € 19
- Participation costs 10 km :
- * It concerns members of Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw, FFBMP , Wandersportverband Ostbelgien, Koninklijke Wandel Bond Nederland
- Non-members *
- Participation costs 85 km : € 59
- Participation costs 60 km : € 49
- Participation costs 35 km : € 39
- Participation costs 10 km :
- * Participation includes one year of membership at Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw. Membership starts by registration and is valid until 31.12.2022.
- Participants must provide themselves with reflective clothing and / or flashlight.
Pick Up participation package
- Participants who registered will receive an E-ticket with which they can pick up their participation package on September Friday 17th in Westfront Nieuwpoort between 15.00 till 18.00 PM
- On September Saterday 17th at the starting location of the chosen distance.
Control and supply
Starting times & location
- 85 km free start between 5.00 & 5.30 am Start: O.C. 't Oud Schooltje, Korte Mooiestraat 7, 8957 MESEN
- 60 km free start between 8.00 & 9.00 am Start: College Ieper, Gezelleplein , 8900 IEPER
- 35 km free start between 10.00 am & 14.00 pm Start: Museum van de IJzer, IJzerdijk 49 - 8600 DIKSMUIDE
All distances arrive at Westfront Nieuwpoort. The finish must be reached on Saturday 18 September 2021 at 11:59 PM at the latest
Upon arrival in Nieuwpoort you are welcome as a participant, but also as supporter in our après-walking café.
Bus transport (optional)
We bring you from the event site in Zonnebeke (FINISH) to the starting locations (Ypres or Diksmuide).
Bus transport is NOT included in the participation price. If you want to use the bus, you must reserve your place at registration (before 21/08/2022!).
- 85 km : departure bus in Zonnebeke at 4:00 am on Saturday September 17th for start in Diksmuide between 5:00 am & 5:30 am
- 60 km : departure bus in Zonnebeke at 7:00 am on Saterday September 17th for start in Ypres between 8:00 & 9:00 am
- 35 km: departure bus in Zonnebeke at 9:00 am on Saterday September 18th for start in Ypres at 10:00 am
Parking options in Zonnebeke
Participants who use the shuttle buses can park for free in Zonnebeke.
Parking options are provided at:
- parking Boudewijnpark
- parking Kasteelpark
Follow the markings to the parking areas and bus service.