Western Front Trail
Saturday, September 18, 2021
Western Front Trail 85 km
The Western Front Trail 85km starts from Mesen, the smallest city in Belgium. The ultimate challenge passes all the special World War I war sites of the Western front line.
Group start at 5:30 am
Individual start between 5.30 & 07.00 am
Western Front Trail 60km
Starting in the vicinity of the imposing Menin Gate Memorial the the Missing, you walk through Ypres Salient and the Yzer Front past special war sites from the First World War.
Group start at 8:00 am
Individual start between 8.00 & 10.00 am
Western Front Trail 35km
The Yser Tower, a symbol of peace and war, is the starting point of the mini Western Front Trail. With the Yserand the Frontzate as an ally, you will reach Westfront Nieuwpoort
No Group start
Indivual start between 8.00 am & 14.00 pm
- Starter package
- Arranged route with km indication
- Ample supply & rest points along the way
- Sanitary facilities along the way
- First aid posts
- Insurance Wandelsport Vlaanderen sports accidents
- 1 free 'Takeaway Sint-Bernardus tasting' on arrival (upon presentation of ID)
- A remembrance of the Western Front Trail
- A guaranteed smile on your face
- Members of a recognized hiking federation *
- Participation costs 85 km : € 39
- Participation costs 60 km : € 29
- Participation costs 35 km : € 19
- * It concerns members of Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw, FFBMP , Wandersportverband Ostbelgien, Koninklijke Wandel Bond Nederland & Fédération Française de Randonnée Pédestre
- Non-members *
- Participation costs 85 km : € 59
- Participation costs 60 km : € 49
- Participation costs 35 km : € 39
- * Participation includes one year of membership at Wandelsport Vlaanderen vzw. Membership valid until 31.12.2022
- Participants must provide themselves with reflective clothing and / or flashlight.
Pick Up participation package
- Participants living in Belgium who registered before 1 September will receive their starting number at home.
- Participants who registered after September 1 and participants not living in Belgium receive an E-ticket with which they can pick up their participation package on site at the starting location of the chosen distance.
Control and supply
Starting times & location
- 85 km free start between 5.00 & 7.00 am Start: O.C. 't Oud Schooltje, Korte Mooiestraat 7, 8957 MESEN
- 60 km free start between 8.00 & 10.00 am Start: College Ieper, Gezelleplein , 8900 IEPER
- 35 km free start between 8.00 am & 14.00 pm Start: Museum van de IJzer, IJzerdijk 49 - 8600 DIKSMUIDE
All distances arrive at Westfront Nieuwpoort. The finish must be reached on Saturday 18 September 2021 at 11:59 PM at the latest
Upon arrival in Nieuwpoort you are welcome as a participant, but also as supporter in our après-walking café.
Bus transport (optional) only for participants 85 & 60 km !
We bring you from the event site in Nieuwpoort (FINISH) to the starting locations (Ypres or Mesen).
There is no bus to the starting place of the 35 km in Diksmuide.
Bus transport is NOT included in the participation price. If you want to use the bus, you must reserve your place at registration (before 01/09!).
- 85 km : departure bus in Nieuwpoort at 3:00 am on Saturday 18 September for start in Messines between 5:00 am & 7:00 am
- 60 km : departure bus in Nieuwpoort at 6:00 am on Saterday 18 september for start in Ypres between 8:00 & 10:00 am
Parking options in Nieuwpoort
Participants who use the shuttle buses to Messines & Ypres can park for free in Nieuwpoort.
Parking options are provided at:
- parking Bruselle
- parking Kattesas
- parking Watersportlaan
Follow the markings to the parking areas and bus service.